So Makella has had a binky since she was born and she loves it! I had every intention of getting rid of it before she turned one....But that never happened. She got really attached to it and I tried replacing it with other things, but it never worked. For a long time she has only used it at bedtime. But when she sleeps, she has to have 2 of them. One in her mouth and one in her hand. Taking even one of them away was a BAD idea. Its been starting to annoy me that she likes them so much and she has been waking up like 3-4 times a night when she cant find them. So I finally decided that I had enough! All day yesterday we were getting ready for her "Bye Bye Binky" Party. She was so excited about it! She talked about it all day and was pretty ok with throwing them all away. I told her that for every binky she threw away she would get a present in place of it. She had four binkys so she got 4 presents. She got a couple books, some necklaces and bracelets, a new bedtime bunny and a donut! She was more than happy to throw them away and said bye to them and everything! It was great.....Then bedtime came. We were expecting it to be a long night, so I put her to bed kinda late in hopes she would be more tired, but after crying for almost 2 hours she finally fell asleep....for about an hour. Then she woke up again and I felt so bad that I held her for awhile and she was awake for about another 2 hours before FINALLY being totally out at midnight. Even when I was holding her she was still whining and crying. It was sad! I guess 4 hours is a good starting point. It can only get better right?? Im really hoping she can adjust to this. It was hard listening to her be so upset. IF anyone has any suggestions on how to make it any easier, Id love to hear!



In other news, we celebrated Jon's Birthday this month. His Birthday was on the 5th, but because of his crazy school schedule we didnt get to celebrate it until about a week later. We just had a little party. His parents came over for dinner and then we had a cake. It was nothing big, but it was good! I'm really proud of Jon. He does so well in all his classes and this has been an especially hard semester for him. He is so good about studying and working. I dont know if I would have that kind of stamina! He is such a great husband and father. Im so lucky! I only got one picture at his party and its not that good. It was on the wrong setting and then my camera died. So this is all Ive got.
Christmas
7 years ago
5 comments:
That Binky Party sounds like such a fun idea and that she was so excited to get rid of them...for the time being I guess. :) Good luck with getting her to fall asleep without them. We took Kyla's binky away when she was 6 months so it only took her one night (and she wasn't that attached to it anyway so it wasn't too bad). I don't know if this would work or if you're already doing it but if she goes to bed upset about it or wakes up upset, you can just explain to her about the party and how she got presents because her binky's went bye bye. Then maybe have her sleep with one of the new things she got so she can remember. We've done that with Kyla recently on other habits that she needs to break and it's worked fairly well. And Makella's way smart so I know she'd understand what you're saying...good luck though!!
Love the Biny party idea, I think I might steal it, and try it out on Lilly. The only suggestion that I can offer is when we were trying to break Emery from the binky we did not go and soothe her right away we waited a couple of minutes and then went into her room and said a few words- goodnight, and laid her down again and upped the minutes of crying before we went back in the room to soothe her. We were serious and set a timer adding a few minutes every time until she finally realized that it was getting her no where to cry for hours on end. It only took a couple nights. We also began bedtime earlier, rather than later so that the beginning of the crying did not kill our sleep so much. Also don't listen to the crying do somthing distracting. You know that she is ok it is just crying don't lay such a guilt trip on yourself. You are a great Mom and you are doing a great job!
Oh Baby tella. Even though Malia had a binky and loved it, I through them away one day and that was it. I have no advice except Way to end it mom!! I'm sure she will get used to it in about a week, don't worry:) Hooray for Jons birthday!
Happy Birthday Jon!!!
Great idea on the Binky Party. I don't have any advise to give but hang in there I am sure it will get better.
Hey Bonnie! I hope your still surviving the Binky epidemic! Val did the same thing we've done in the past. If you don't let her learn to go to sleep on her own she will replace you for her binky. Do you get what I mean? You will have to hold her every night to get her to go to sleep. So you just gotta let her cry and do what Val said about the timer. It works!
Good luck!
Post a Comment